Tuesday, February 02, 2010

I Blame Dan Abnett

I place the blame squarely on Dan Abnett’s head. I really do. As a grown-up geek, with a life filled with work, family and God knows what else, I had made up my mind to quit running roleplaying games cold turkey. I told myself that I could still dabble in the odd miniatures or board game, but roleplaying games were out. Why? In my experience, running roleplaying games requires just too much of a continuing time commitment.

While other games require a similar amount of ‘front loaded’ time getting prepared to play (I am looking at you Flames of War) nothing else besides running a roleplaying campaign requires such a continuing commitment of time and energy. In my experience, preparing for and running an exciting and interesting campaign on a regular basis too often turns into a grind. On top of that, you have to actually find a group, travel to wherever you are going to play, deal with no-shows, etc. It’s just generally a pain in the butt. I love RPGs, but my mind was made up. I was going to put away the dice bag for good.

And then I picked up Dan Abnett’s Eisenhorn omnibus on a whim. It was innocent enough. I was cruising Borders looking for something to read on my commute. The cover painting of inquisitor Eisenhorn caught my eye and I bought the book. Half way into Xenos, the first book of the trilogy, and I was hooked. Now I am not very familiar with the Warhammer 40,000 universe but Abnett’s vivid prose and pulpy action really sucked me in. Not even a week later, I was in possession of Dark Heresy and Rogue Traderebook

Back down the rabbit hole I go…

2 comments:

Jack Badelaire said...

Muah hah hah hah!

I've talked pretty extensively on my blog about the Eisenhorn and Ravenor trilogies. They are, in a word, perfect gaming fodder.

Once you finish up those two trilogies, there's his Gaunt's Ghosts novels. They'll paint a very vivid picture of war in the 41st millennium. Not a pretty picture, but certainly vivid. The third omnibus of those novels, featuring books 7-10, comes out in April.

Oh, and then there's the Horus Heresy series, of which Abnett penned the first (and one of the best) volume.

Rob said...

My buddy Steve has been talking to me about the Eisenhorn series of books. I borrowed the omnibus and am looking forward to checking it out. I too am an "experienced" (read older) gamer. I played rpg's back in my youth with the original 3 book set of D and D. Just recently, I got the bug to be a DM. Thanks for a great blog. It gives me encouragement that I can do it.